Enter to Win an Adventure Canada 12-Night Arctic Explorer Cruise
Win an Adventure Canada 12-Night Arctic Explorer Cruise
Fill in an entry form for a chance to Win an Adventure Canada 12-Night Arctic Explorer Cruise. The draw for the winner will be held on Dec. 21, 2022.
Ship : Ocean Endeavour
Our spacious, ice-strengthened vessel features twenty Zodiacs, advanced navigation equipment, and stabilizers. A doctor, paramedic, medical clinic, and enhanced health regime offer peace of mind. Roomy facilities offer comfortable travel with plenty of breathing room for all.
- Visit the Franklin Expedition graves at Beechey Island
- Watch for marine mammals and wildlife in Tallurutiup Imanga (Lancaster Sound) National Marine Conservation Area
- Hike on Devon Island, the largest uninhabited island on Earth
- Enjoy an Inuit cultural welcome at Mittimatalik (Pond Inlet)
- Take advantage of prime viewing opportunities for the rare ivory gull, considered a species at risk
- Cruise among icebergs at Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
DAY 1: KANGERLUSSUAQ, Greenland
Kangerlussuaq is a former U.S. Air Force base and Greenland’s primary flight hub. Here we will be transferred by Zodiac to the Ocean Endeavour.
With 190 kilometres of superb scenery, Kangerlussuaq Fjord (Søndre Strømfjord) is one of the longest fjords in the world. We begin our adventure by sailing down this dramatic fjord, crossing the Arctic Circle as we go.
DAY 2: SISIMIUT COAST
West Greenland’s complex coastal waterways include glaciers, islands, and fjords against a towering mountain backdrop. The waters are relatively warm here, due to the West Greenland Current and the subarctic location.
People have lived in the Sisimiut area for 4,500 years. For the first 2,000 years, the people of the Saqqaq culture occupied the area. 2,500 years ago, new people brought the Dorset culture to the Sisimiut area. They lived here for 1,500 years and were followed by the people of the Thule culture—the ancestors of the moder-day Inuit population.
DAY 3: ILULISSAT
Ilulissat translates literally to “iceberg”—an apt name for this site at the mouth of the Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The icefjord is the outlet of the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier, a source of many of the icebergs in the North Atlantic.
Here, we will cruise in our fleet of Zodiacs to appreciate the icebergs. We will also visit the town of Ilulissat, with its museums, cafes, craft shops, and busy fishing harbour.
Day 4: Western Greenland
Greenland’s west coast is simply stunning. From mighty mountains to the tiniest tundra flowers, our stop in this area will offer many outstanding features of interest. Hikers, walkers, photographers, and contemplators will all be equally delighted.
Day 5: At Sea—Davis Strait
Our onboard presentation series will continue as we steam across Davis Strait towards Canada. This is an excellent time to enjoy workshops, watch a documentary, and get out on deck looking for whales, seabirds, and marine wildlife.
Day 6: Mittimatalik (Pond Inlet), NU, Canada
Mittimatalik is a busy Arctic community in a beautiful setting. The views of nearby Bylot Island are stunning. We will have a chance to explore the town. The cultural presentation at the Community Hall is not to be missed—handcrafted goods may be available here, too.
Day 7–10: Tallurutiup Imanga (Lancaster Sound) & Devon Island
We will spend four days exploring Tallurutiup Imanga (Lancaster Sound), one of Canada's newest National Marine Conservation Areas. Narwhal, beluga, and bowhead whales transit and feed in this area. We’ll cruise by ship and Zodiac in search of wildlife.
On the northern border of Tallurutiup Imanga lies Devon Island, the largest uninhabited island on Earth at over 50,000 square kilometres. The island’s geology is stunning. Flat-topped mountains, glacial valleys, and a substantial ice cap give Devon Island its unique character.
We’ll visit a number of the bays—hiking the tundra, discovering the botany, cruising a glacier face, and wildlife-spotting from ship and from shore. Once home to Inuit and their ancestors, we will visit archaeological sites with expert interpretation to learn about the human history of this now-abandoned island. We’ll also catch a glimpse of recent human history as we visit the remains of a Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Hudson's Bay Company site at Dundas Harbour.
DAY 11: BEECHEY ISLAND
In 1845, Sir John Franklin set out from England with HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, attempting to sail through the Northwest Passage. Franklin’s crew overwintered at Beechey Island, where three of his men died.
Numerous search parties later used Beechey as a depot and rendezvous. Amundsen, Bernier, and Larsen all visited Beechey. Thomas Morgan of the HMS Investigator was buried here in 1854 alongside Franklin’s men. The graves and the ruins of nearby Northumberland House are a haunting memorial.
DAY 12: QAUSUITTUQ (RESOLUTE), NU, Canada
Qausuittuq, or “place with no dawn”, is named for its dark winters. During our time in the summer months we will experience the midnight sun, a time of no darkness.
The ending of our journey is characterized by shoreline gravel flats, rocky coastal bluffs, and deposits of glacial moraine. More significant is the origin of the hamlet. In 1953, Inuit from Inukjuak, Québec, and Mittimatalik were relocated, under false pretenses, by the Canadian government with the aim of asserting Canadian sovereignty.
Today the community is home to just under 250 people and is an important staging point for High Arctic research, tourism, and military activities.
Here we will disembark the Ocean Endeavour, and take the charter flight to Ottawa, ON.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- All entrants must be Canadian residents over the age of 18 and be legally eligible for travel to Greenland. Residents of Quebec excluded.
- The competition closes on December 14, 2022
- The draw will be conducted on December 21, 2022
- The winner will be notified by December 21/22 or within two weeks of the competition closing date.
- The winner will be randomly drawn from the eligible prize pool (users must complete the contest ballot in full and have read the complete terms and conditions) and will need to respond within 72 hours of this to accept being the winner, or another winner will be chosen. Attempts will be made to notify the winner by telephone or the email provided at the time of entry.
- The prize includes a 12-day High Arctic Explorer cruise with Adventure Canada for two, accommodation in a Category 6 – Deluxe Twin cabin.
- The prize also includes: Two (2) seats with Adventure Canada charter flights from Toronto or Ottawa to Greenland, and return flight from Nunavut to Toronto or Ottawa, plus flight for 2 people travelling together, round-trip, within Canada, from closest home airport to/from Ottawa or Toronto, on Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express flights (The flights are not return from the same city).
- Air Canada flights valid for the aforementioned travel period only.
- Space subject to availability at time of booking.
- Reservation must be made at aircanada.com via your travel agent.
- All applicable fees, such as airport/departure taxes, port taxes, security charges or other third-party fees, taxes or charges are the sole responsibility of the bearer of the ticket.
- Once tickets are issued, origin and itinerary can’t be changed. Flight times and travel dates can be changed, a change fee per ticket may apply.
- Tickets are not transferable, not refundable and not redeemable for cash.
- Frequent flyer mileage accumulation and eUpgrade credits are not permitted.
- Stopovers are not permitted.
- Promotional tickets recipients may be held liable to Air Canada for failure to adhere to the restrictions and conditions of travel applicable to their tickets or for the fraudulent use of those tickets.
- Expedition prize includes: • Passage aboard the Ocean Endeavour • Applicable taxes and credit card fees • Complimentary expedition jacket • Contribution to Adventure Canada's Discovery Fund • Special access permits, entry and park fees • Team of expedition staff • Guided activities • Sightseeing and community visits • All Zodiac excursions • Port fees • Pre-departure materials • Educational program • Nikon Camera Trial Program • Interactive workshops • Evening entertainment • All shipboard meals.
- EXPEDITION PRIZE DOES NOT INCLUDE: • Commercial & charter flights not included in prize • Program enhancements/optional excursions • Gratuities • Personal expenses • Mandatory medical evacuation insurance • Additional expenses in the event of delays or itinerary changes • Possible fuel surcharges • Pre- & post-trip hotel accommodation and administrative fees.
- The winner and his/her travel companion must travel together both ways.
- It is the sole responsibility of the prize winner to obtain all necessary travel documentation including passports and visas, as applicable and to comply with any customs and immigration requirements.
- Prize winners are responsible for obtaining any visas required for them or their companions for any travel applicable in the prize.
- Prize winners are responsible for payment of any additional items not included in the prize (e.g. meals and drinks other those included, telephone calls, wifi etc.).
- Prize winners are solely responsible for all costs not expressly described herein including, without limitation, airport transfer transportation fees not included in trip itinerary, travel insurance together with any required travel documentation, and all personal expenses of any kind or nature.
- Prize winners are also solely responsible for all costs incurred to and from the departure point as the Prize originates and terminates there.
- The prize must be accepted as awarded, there are no substitutions. The prize is non-transferable, has no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. Any costs incurred by a winner though the use of a prize is the sole responsibility of the winner.
- Holidays are redeemable only by the named winner and must not be sold on to any other party.
- Once booked, the booking will be subject to the Terms and Conditions of The Travel Agent Next Door.
- The promoter and organizer, The Travel Agent Next Door, reserves the right to change any condition of this competition, without notice.
- The Travel Agent Next Door reserves the right to substitute the prize or any part of the prize (due to unavailability or for any other reason) with a different prize or part of the prize of equal monetary value.
- The Travel Agent Next Door assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of entries.
- Neither The Travel Agent Next Door, Adventure Canada, Air Canada nor any other person or party associated with this promotion shall be liable for any loss or damage suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss or damage) or personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with either participation in this promotion or with any prizes offered.
- Employees of The Travel Agent Next Door, and all other prize partners, its agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion, and their families, are excluded from entering this competition.
- The Travel Agent Next Door collects participants’ personal information in order to conduct the promotion. If the information requested is not provided, the participant may not take part in the promotion.
- The prize winner will be informed by email, and their name and personal details may be used in future promotions associated with the organizer and the promoter.
- By entering this competition, you agree to allow future communications from the Organizers and Promoters of this competition. You may however unsubscribe at any time.
- Only ONE entry is allowed per person.
- All entrants must answer a skill-testing question to be eligible to win the trip.